Under the SEND Code of Practice 2014 pupils identified as having a special educational need (SEN) will be considered within one or more of the following categories of need:
Cognition and Learning;
• Specific learning difficulties (SpLD) : dyslexia (reading and spelling), dyscalculia (maths), dyspraxia (co-ordination) and dysgraphia (writing).
• Moderate learning difficulties (MLD)
• Severe learning difficulties (SLD), and
• Profound and multiple learning difficulties (PMLD)
Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
• Attachment Disorder
Communication and Interaction needs
• Speech, language and communication needs (SLCN)
• Autism (including Asperger Syndrome)
Sensory and/or Physical needs
• Visual impairment (VI)
• Hearing impairment (HI – including Deaf and hearing impairment)
• Multi-sensory impairment (MSI - sometimes referred to as Deafblind)
• Physical disability (PD).